Thursday, November 19, 2009

L'Opera Garnier


A couple weeks ago I went to see the ballet Joyaux at the Opera Garnier. I had never heard of the ballet before, I honestly went just to have the chance to see a show at this incredibly beautiful opera house. I would have gone to see just about anything!

The ballet ended up being entirely wonderful and enchanting, with gorgeous costumes and set design by Christian Lacroix (this is Paris, after all). And the Opera was even more breathtaking than I could have imagined - pictures in art history textbooks do not do this place justice. And neither do mine, for that matter, so you'll just have to bear with me and imagine.



The ceilings! Sigh. It's hard to tell in this picture, but there are painted vignettes by Chagall
of different ballets and operas all across the ceiling.

I felt like this girl, completely captivated, leaning over the railing to soak it all in.


Renoir's At the Theatre (La Premiere Sortie)

No comments:

Post a Comment