Monday, December 7, 2009

Vaux-le-Vicomte

Before I launch into pictures from my trips outside France, I thought I would share some more adventures around Paris.  First up is a visit to the château Vaux-le-Vicomte just outside the city.
A collaboration between the architect Louis Le Vau, the landscape architect André Le Nôtre, and the painter and interior decorator Charles Le Brun, the château was built in the mid-17th century for Nicolas Fouquet, Louis XIV's minister of finance.  The king was supposedly so envious of Fouquet's château that he decided to build Versailles to show him up.

On a completely unrelated and more contemporary note, this is also where Eva Longoria and Tony Parker got married. Not too shabby.


These two little girls were running around the hall wearing period costumes. Cutest thing ever.

Love the all-yellow bed, even though I'm probably too tall to fit in it.







Though it started raining just as we were leaving, all in all it was a lovely day. I hope to be able to post château #2 tonight, so check back later!

No comments:

Post a Comment